The family of Peter Maynard says he probably went for a surf as they join the police search for the missing Queenslander on an island off Bali.

The family of an Australian man missing in Indonesia believes he went surfing before his disappearance, in what was “relatively benign” swell.

The family of father-of three Peter Maynard has rushed to Bali after hotel staff on Nusa Lembongan, an island just off Bali, raised the alarm when they found their guest missing.

Mr Maynard, from Noosa on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast, was holidaying solo and hadn’t been in touch with his wife Kylie for two weeks.

The 45-year-old was due to check out of his bungalow accommodation on August 28.

When he didn’t, staff went to his room and found all of his personal effects still there and no sign of a break-in.

His family joined the police search on Friday, which involves not only authorities, but concerned expats and surfers who are on the lookout.

A distressed Mrs Maynard checked her husband’s room, where two of his surfboards were found.

Mr Maynard’s brother, John, told reporters one of his brother’s boards was missing.

John Maynard said the family has confirmed his brother had breakfast at his accommodation on August 27, then went for a surf at one of the local breaks known as Shipwrecks, Lacerations or Playgrounds.

He was wearing a bright blue surf vest or rashie and dark-coloured boardshorts, and had a white Hammo brand surfboard, he said.

“We understand the ocean conditions on that day were relatively benign,” he said.

“We will continue to work with local police, the Australian consulate, and surf and rescue authorities in the hope that together we can find Peter and bring this matter to an end.

“We implore anybody who knows anything to please notify the relevant authority and we ask that our family’s privacy be respected during this difficult time.”

Earlier, Nusa Penida police chief Nyoman Suarsika said he believed if Mr Maynard went missing in the surf, his board would have already been found.

“Up to now there is no news of Mr Maynard,” he said on Friday morning.

“We are still searching, but there’s no sign at all yet.

“If it’s true he had another board and went surfing, then for sure by now the board would have been found floating.”

The police chief said surf conditions had been relatively calm throughout Mr Maynard’s stay, but on August 28, the winds had picked up.

Hotel staff have reported the missing man looked relaxed and well when they last saw him.

“He was travelling alone and his wife didn’t come because she couldn’t get the time off work,” the police chief said.

“Mrs Maynard has told us there is no problem with their marriage.”

Before leaving Australia, Mrs Maynard told News Corp Australia she was “doing as well as can be expected”.