NSW prison escapee John Killick has lost his bid to beat a Queensland extradition order that could lead to more time behind bars.

Convicted armed robber John Killick has lost his NSW Supreme Court battle against extradition to Queensland.

Justice Carolyn Simpson has upheld an extradition order to send Killick north of the border.

“I left myself open for this, but you’ve got to deal with what you’ve done in the past,” he told reporters on Thursday.

“The past is catching up but it’s been great being out, and I’ve still got a chance.”

The 72-year-old, who made a brazen escape from a Sydney prison in a helicopter hijacked by his then girlfriend in 1999, will be sent back to Queensland over an alleged breach of bail 21 years ago.

He must report to Queensland Police by June 27, and could be forced to serve the two-and-a-half-year balance of a sentence imposed for an armed robbery in 1983.

Killick’s lawyer Eidan Havas said he would be looking for potential avenues for appeal.

He said he was also working with a solicitor in Queensland to seek a judicial review of the cancellation of Killick’s parole.

But both men were prepared for Thursday’s decision.

“Although we were optimistic and hopeful, we weren’t surprised with today’s decision,” Mr Havas said.

“He was prepared for this, and he’s prepared since day one to go to Queensland and do the time if required.”

Killick remains on bail but must wear an electronic ankle monitor and report to NSW police daily.

“The longer I’m out, the more I’m feeling human again, after all that long time,” he said.

“(My wife) was just hoping for the best. But we know this ordeal will be over soon.”

Killick gained international notoriety when he went on the run for 45 days in 1999 after his then-girlfriend, Lucy Dudko, hijacked a helicopter at gunpoint and had it flown to the Silverwater prison exercise yard, where Killick was serving time for armed robbery.

He jumped in the chopper and flew off amid cheers from other inmates and gunshots from prison guards.

After being recaptured, he went back to prison until April this year, when he was granted parole.

Immediately after his release, Queensland authorities produced a warrant for the pensioner’s arrest and sought his extradition.

Queensland Police claim Killick breached his parole in 1993 after an offence of violence armed with a dangerous weapon but his legal team had branded their warrant an abuse of process.