Adelaide chief executive Stephen Trigg is confident that they will retain star midfielder Patrick Dangerfield.
Adelaide are growing increasingly confident that they will break their run of big-name AFL defections by retaining Patrick Dangerfield.
The star midfielder becomes a free agent at the end of next season and there is growing speculation about Victorian clubs trying to lure him back to his home state.
Dangerfield said earlier this month that success, not money, would be the primary motivation for his AFL future.
The Crows have had preliminary discussions with Dangerfield, without making an offer yet, and chief executive Stephen Trigg said the signs are good that he will stay.
Adelaide have bled star players in the last few years – Jack Gunston (Hawthorn), Nathan Bock (Gold Coast), Phil Davis (GWS) and Kurt Tippett (Sydney).
The Crows’ determination to keep Tippett led to heavy AFL penalties in late 2012 for breaching draft and salary cap rules, including a six-month suspension for Trigg.
But Trigg thinks their upcoming negotiations with Dangerfield will have a much happier ending.
“It might seem a bit simplistic to say this, but in essence he seems settled and he seems happy,” Trigg told Channel Nine’s Sunday Footy Show.
“In the cases we’ve had before … on reflection you know they’re not as settled as you’d like them to be.
“This young fellow is really, really at home in Adelaide the city, much less Adelaide the footy club.
“Everything that he’s said privately and publicly would indicate he wants to stay.”
Trigg is similarly optimistic about Rory Sloane and brothers Brad and Matt Crouch, who are all from Victoria.
“I may get bitten on my backside for saying this, but they do all seem settled – where we’ve had in the past some issues with that,” he said.
Trigg said he plans to stay at Adelaide for the time being, effectively scotching speculation he could be Brisbane’s new chief executive.
While Trigg said the Crows position would not be his last job, he added he wanted to put plenty of distance between the club and the Tippett scandal.
Asked it Adelaide needed to strike their deal with Tippett, he admitted “probably not”.
“It’s probably why the AFL CEO said at the time it just seemed a dumb thing to have done,” Trigg said.
Meanwhile, Trigg wants Adelaide to have two or three Thursday-night games next season at Adelaide Oval.
The round-nine fixture against Collingwood attracted a bumper crowd and was another chapter in the renovated venue’s extraordinary success this season.
“It can be a marquee fixture in Adelaide,” he said.
“Ideally … (it) would be early or late in the season because of the weather considerations or they would be in holidays.”