Witnesses have told the trial of Daniel Morcombe’s accused killer they saw a man standing near a boy by a road on the day the 13-year-old went missing.

A man was seen standing near a boy by a Sunshine Coast road on the afternoon teenager Daniel Morcombe went missing more than 10 years ago.

A young boy in a red T-shirt was seen trying to wave down a bus from under an overpass on the Nambour Connection Road on December 7, 2003, a court heard on Monday.

The trial of Brett Peter Cowan has previously been told Daniel was likely wearing a red T-shirt when he vanished aged 13 while waiting for a bus about 2pm on December 7, 2003.

At Cowan’s trial, witnesses who were on the bus said the driver didn’t stop for the boy but gestured to indicate another bus was coming.

“I had seen a male standing some distance behind him,” 28-year-old Fiona Theuerkauf, who was on the bus, told the court.

She said he had long hair, a goatee, indented cheeks and a tattoo on his upper left arm.

Witness Abby North, 24, was travelling on the bus with Ms Theuerkauf and said the man had a gaunt face and prominent eyebrows and was standing several metres behind the boy.

“He just was leaning, sort of one leg up, as if he was leaning back, because it’s on a slope,” she said.

Neither saw any interaction between the man and the boy.

Both were unable to identify the man from a photoboard containing a number of images of men that was shown to them and the jury.

Another witness who drove past the overpass on the same afternoon said he saw a red-shirted boy and a white four wheel drive parked about 50 to 150m from the overpass.

The court heard last week that Cowan, 44, owned a white Pajero.

The witness, Jessiah Cocks, said he wasn’t good with cars but the car had looked like a 1990s era Landcruiser.

Meanwhile Daniel’s mother Denise Morcombe left the court room when animal experts testified about wild dog activity in the Sunshine Coast hinterland where remains believed to be Daniel’s were found in 2011.

Last week the court was told 17 bones or bone fragments were found across a 350sq metre area of bushland in the Glass House Mountains.

Zoologist Dr Lee Allen said wild dogs could smell a carcass from half a kilometre away and were most definitely capable of moving human remains, usually from 10 to 50 metres over a period of days.

Cowan has pleaded not guilty to murder, indecent treatment of a child and interfering with a corpse.

The trial continues.