Prime Minister Tony Abbott has suggested the ABC apologise for airing allegations of asylum seeker abuse, but the broadcaster isn’t budging.
ABC boss Mark Scott is standing by the broadcaster’s decision to air allegations about asylum seekers being mistreated by the navy, despite government calls for an apology.
The public broadcaster has admitted its stories on burnt asylum seekers should have been “more precise”, but so far has refused to apologise.
“We stand by the thrust of that story,” Mr Scott told ABC radio on Thursday.
“I think it’s important that we be judged on that story.”
Mr Scott said the original stories made it absolutely clear the denials of the navy, and the suggestion that the ABC didn’t know exactly what happened on the boats.