Autopsies on the bodies of a Queensland mother and daughter who fell fatally ill in Bali will be conducted in Australia.

Autopsies on an Australian woman and her teenage daughter who died in Bali will be held in Queensland after Indonesian officials agreed with a family request for the examinations to be conducted at home.

Noelene Bischoff and 14-year-old Yvana Bischoff died on Saturday, a day after checking into the beachfront resort of Padang Bai in Karangasem, on Bali’s east coast.

Their bodies will be flown home and autopsies will be carried out by Queensland’s Coroner.

“It has been decided that the autopsy will not be performed in Bali because the family has rejected it,” Bali Detective Adnan Pandibu told AAP.

He said arrangements were being made to fly the bodies home as soon as possible, but that was unlikely to be on Tuesday.

Queensland’s Acting Attorney-General David Crisafulli approved the Bischoff family’s request for the state’s coroner to handle the autopsies.

Mr Crisafulli said their family deserved answers and have the right to choose to have the autopsies carried out in their home state.

“I know what I would want if I was in that situation,” he told reporters.

“I have a wife, I have two daughters and I would not think for one moment a government would get in the way of me exercising what I believe is the right way to ensure this matter is finalised.”

Relatives have been told toxic fish caused their deaths.

The pair ate a mixed seafood lunch on Friday at the Warung Dewa Malen restaurant, a popular eatery with Australian tourists in Ubud, around 50km from Padang Bai.

Later that day the pair checked into their hotel and ate mahi mahi fish for dinner at the Buddha Bar and Restaurant attached to the resort.

About six hours later, Yvana reportedly sought help from security staff, saying she and her mother had fallen gravely ill.

Ms Bischoff died while being transported by ambulance to a local medical centre and Yvana died at the Bali International Medical Clinic in Denpasar.