NSW opener Ryan Carters has scored his second half century in a week at the SCG, as the Blues reached 3-140 on a rain-affected day.

Ryan Carters continued his rich vein of form at the SCG to drag NSW back into their Sheffield Shield clash with Queensland on a rain-interrupted opening day.

With the entire third session washed out, after rain also delayed the start of play, only 44 overs were managed on Friday as the Blues finished 3-140.

The Bulls started the stronger, reducing the hosts to 2-25 in favourable conditions with Matthew Gale (1-5) and Michael Neser (1-44) particularly effective.

But the mood of the game changed when Gale suffered a knee injury that could cruel his Big Bash campaign.

Gale (1-5) will miss at least six weeks after tearing the medial meniscus in his right knee midway through his fourth over.

His absence was felt as Carters (56no) and recalled veteran Ben Rohrer went about salvaging NSW’s innings, adding 115 for the third wicket.

Carters, who last week hit 94 and 40 playing for an invitational XI against England at the SCG last week, survived a testing opening hour.

But given the support of Rohrer, who hit 61 off 93 balls, the Canberra-born youngster was allowed to free the arms.

Carters finished the day with eight boundaries off 125 balls.

“It’s a pretty cool opportunity as a state player to play against international opposition because in a way we have nothing to lose,” he said about scoring runs against England.

“If we manage to succeed we get pats on our back. It’s a bit of a free shot and we certainly approached it that way.”

The 23-year-old moved to NSW from Victoria this year, but is effectively the Blues’ No.3 ‘keeper behind captain Peter Nevill and Test vice-captain Brad Haddin.

His partnership with Rohrer steadied the ship as the Blues look to build on last week’s outright victory over the Bulls and consolidate their place near the top of the Shield ladder.

But that momentum was halted when Rohrer was stranded after being sent back by Carters on a quick single – with Nathan Hauritz throwing the stumps down from mid-wicket.

The wind was taken out of Queensland’s sails when Gale left the field.

In what was a seemingly innocuous incident, the 28-year-old turned to stop the ball in his follow through and felt his knee “clutch”.

He then attempted to bowl the next ball, but couldn’t complete his run-up – instead leaving the field for scans which confirmed he could miss a large chunk of the Big Bash season for the Brisbane Heat.