After Christmas Day many of us will be stuck with gifts that don’t fit, we don’t want or are jsut down right wrong! SO what do you do with your unwanted gifts?
So you have been given a gift that just isn’t you and you don’t know what to do with it? To help you make your decision on whether to re-gift or refund we have complied a pros and cons list to help you way up your options. Once you have chosen your option we have also included a some ‘how to’steps to make sure whatever you choose is done right.
- The gift is going to someone who you know will enjoy it.
- You don’t have to chase up the receipt.
- You don’t have to deal with the post Christmas shopping centre mayhem to return the gift.
- You don’t have to go shopping and find another gift.
- The person you give it to may find out it was a re-gift and not appreciate the lack of effort you went too.
- The person who gave you the gift in the first place may find out you do not like the gift.
- Re-gifting is not good for the economy as it means one less gift purchased.
How do you re-gift?
- Only re-gift new items, that are still sealed and look brand new.
- Re-wrap your re-gift.
- Make sure it is something the recipient will actually like.
- Don’t re-gift in the same social group.
- You will be able to buy something you actually like or use the money for something else.
- You are being honest with the person who gave you the gift when you ask for the receipt to return it.
- You will most likely need a receipt which means the person who gave you the gift will know you don’t want it.
- You will have to deal with the post Christmas shopping/returns mayhem.
- You may not be able to get a refund and have to settle for a credit or exchange instead.
How do you get a refund?
- You will need the receipt, some companies will not ask but in most cases they can’t process the refund without one.
- Be patient, the staff are more likely to respond to patient friendly customers.
- Keep all the tags/ packaging in good condition.
- If they can only offer you an exchange or credit explain politely that you don’t want either of those options and would really appreciate a refund.
- If the answer is still no, then accept what you can and make the most out of the credit or exchange.
What are your tips on refunding and re-gifting? Take our Your Say poll on the home page, to let us know if you will be re-gifting or refunding unwanted gifts this Christmas.