A woman and a child have tested positive for Zika virus in Queensland in the last week.
The woman, aged in her 20s, became ill after returning to the Gold Coast from El Salvador.
The child, who first presented at hospital on Thursday night, had recently returned to Australia from Samoa.
Both the woman and the child have been discharged from hospital and are recovering at their respective homes. Queensland Health says there is no risk to them, their families or the general public from the virus.
Though the disease has only recently hit the headlines, its appearance in Queensland is not unprecedented. Seven cases of the disease were confirmed in Queensland in 2014, and three cases were confirmed in Queensland in 2015.
Minister for Health and Ambulance Services Cameron Dick, who during the week convened the Zika Preparedness Roundtable, said he had asked Queensland Health to speed up an initial public health campaign on social media and in newspapers.
“This will be aimed at people who have recently returned from overseas and may be feeling unwell,” he said.
“We’re going to be asking them to see their doctor or GP so they can be checked out.”
Mr Dick also said Zika testing would be available in Townsville from March 1.
Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young said that the two cases posed no threat to community health, as the virus is largely transmitted by a mosquito which is not present in south east Queensland.
“It is the same mosquito that carried dengue fever, and these mosquitoes are not present in south-east Queensland, which is where both of these cases have been found,” she said.