It’s Friday, so why not end the week with a guilt-free burger? Here’s a recipe that’s both healthy and indulgent…
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 zucchini, finely sliced
- 120g haloumi, thinly sliced
- 4 wholegrain bread rolls, halved, to serve
- Large handful rocket, per burger, to serve
Red onion jam
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- To make the red onion jam, heat olive oil in a heavy-based pan over medium heat and add onions. Fry, stirring for 10 minutes or until onions are soft. Add vinegar and sugar. Reduce heat and gently cook for a further ten minutes or until onions have darkened and are completely cooked. If the onions start to burn add a little water.
- Combine balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a shallow bowl. Add mushrooms and allow to marinate for 10–15 minutes, turning several times.
- Heat frying pan (or grill) over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 4–5 minutes each side or until tender, basting several times with leftover vinegar and olive oil. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside. Add zucchini and cook for 1–2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan before adding haloumi. Cook for 1–2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Toast bread rolls if desired. Top with a spoonful of red onion jam, mushroom, zucchini, haloumi and rocket. Serve with a fresh green salad on the side.