The Fox Hotel is a jack-of-all-trades venue with its regular events, art studio, rooftop bar and restaurant – but it’s the Fish Lane Bistro that impresses guests.
Fish Lane Bistro, tucked beneath The Fox Hotel in South Brisbane, encompasses a classic gastropub and offers Queensland produce in fine form.
Previously Meatball Co, head chef Jonno Bryant has been in charge of freshening up the venue, bringing the ocean and the paddock to plate through a new menu.
Expect the likes of these dishes when dining at Fish Lane Bistro:
Starters & entrees
- Spicy smoked pork and goat’s cheese croquettes
- Spit-roasted Mooloolaba king prawns with chilli, olive oil and lemon
- Heirloom tomato tart, ricotta salata, crushed olives and smoked tomato dressing
- Hervey Bay scallops, crispy pancetta, green apple salad and fresh lime
- Organic quinoa, pepitas, dried cranberries with smokey eggplant and Tuscan Kale.
- Roasted golden beets, snow pea sprouts, candied pecans with parsley dressing
- Chickpea, spiced and roasted cauliflower, fresh pomegranate and crispy onions.
- Crispy-skinned twice-cooked duck, steamed Asian greens and orange caramel
- Local sandcrab spaghettini, chilli, lemon and fresh herbs
- Sauteed potato and parmesan gnocchi, exotic mushrooms and truffle oil.
- Spencer Gulf mussels steamed with Lap Cheong sausage, tomato and chilli
- Slow-cooked Northern NSW lamb rack massamam curry, potatoes and peanuts served with coconut rice.
- Salted caramel and hazelnut tart with double cream
- Homemade donuts, passionfruit curd and vanilla bean icecream
- Bittersweet chocolate marquise, fresh raspberries and fairy floss.
If you’re not sure which dish to pick, restaurant manager Jean (the Frenchie) is very hospitable and more than happy for a chat.
It’s a cosy spot to dine whether it be with a group of friends or with your partner. I dined on my lonesome and still felt right at home.
Fish Lane Bistro is open from 12pm to late every day.