A young man arrested in anti-terrorism raids in southeast Queensland last month was planning a terrorist attack in Australia, it will be alleged.
A young Queensland man charged with supporting terrorists in Syria was also planning a terrorist attack on Australian soil, it will be alleged.
Fresh charges were laid against 22-year-old Agim Kruezi on Friday, including that he transported a gun and stockpiled machetes, knives and balaclavas in preparation for a terrorist act.
It’s understood a case will be made that Kruezi was planning a home-soil attack in Australia, but no other details, including an intended target, are known.
Kruezi is now facing a total of seven charges, including the new ones that accuse him of transporting a firearm in preparation for a terrorist act, and possessing equipment – including machetes, knives, balaclavas, military fatigues and a firearm – in preparation for a terrorist act.
The older charges, laid after his arrest in September, allege he was preparing for incursions into war-torn Syria, and recruiting people to join that fight.
The case against Kruezi was mentioned in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday, along with charges against two other terror suspects, Omar Succarieh, 31, and Louis Maestracci, 32, who were also arrested earlier this year.
All three matters were adjourned until December 19 after crown prosecutor Shane Hunter requested the lengthy delay to allow Australian Federal Police enough time to prepare evidence briefs.
“Their commitment to the event (G20) that’s going to occur in Brisbane in November is significant and that will hamper the timeframe to which the briefs can be prepared,” Mr Hunter told the court.
Succarieh’s lawyer James Wallace urged Magistrate John McGrath to have his client’s matter brought forward given the amount of time he had already spent in custody.
“It is unfortunate that the upcoming G20 summit is going to be used as a reason to delay proceedings,” Mr Wallace said.
“In circumstances where Mr Succarieh is in custody for the very first time away from his wife and children, where he is subject to orders that mean he is currently in solitary confinement.”
However, Mr McGrath said because the three matters were related, they should all be heard on the same day. None of the men are required in court on the next appearance on December 19.
Kruezi and Succarieh were arrested in September in counter-terrorism raids in the Brisbane and Logan areas.
Like Kruezi, Succarieh is also accused of preparing for incursions into Syria. But he’s also facing a charge of providing funds to the terrorist organisation Jabhat al-Nusra in Syria.
Maestracci was arrested following counter-terrorism raids at his home in Kingston, South of Brisbane, in September.
He’s accused of dealing with money that could have been used to fund terrorist operatives overseas. He’s currently on bail.