A Melbourne man has been remanded in custody on terrorism financing charges following a series of raids.

A Melbourne man allegedly provided funds to the terrorist organisations ISIL and Jabhat al-Nusra, a court has heard.

Hassan El Sabsabi allegedly provided funds to the groups knowing they were terrorist organisations over five months this year, at a number of locations in Melbourne’s western and northern suburbs, according to charge sheets lodged with the Melbourne Magistrates Court.

El Sabsabi, 23, of Seabrook, was arrested following a series of raids on homes across Melbourne on Tuesday morning.

He appeared at the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday afternoon charged with six counts of intentionally making funds available to a terrorist organisation.

Federal police allege that in March this year El Sabsabi made funds available to ISIL, also know as Islamic State. Police also allege that between March and August, he made funds available to Jabhat al-Nusra.

The amount of funds allegedly made available was neither stated on the charge sheets nor during his court appearance.

Police earlier told reporters about $12,000 had allegedly been provided to a man in the United States, allowing him to join militants in Syria some months ago. He continues to fight there.

Prosecutor Andrew Doyle told the court the investigation commenced about eight months ago from information from the FBI.

Mr Doyle said there were 25,000 pages from social media accounts and 500 telephone calls and messages to go through as part of the investigation.

“A substantial amount of material will be sourced from overseas,” Mr Doyle told the court.

El Sabsabi’s lawyer Trieu Huynh asked for his client to be transferred from the Melbourne Custody Centre to the Melbourne Assessment Prison as soon as possible.

“Given the nature of the charges (and) it’s his first time in custody, it’s extremely onerous on him,” he said.

He also asked for a doctor to examine his client as soon as possible for his medical conditions, which Mr Huynh said he would not outline in open court.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Dan Muling granted a prosecution application for more time to prepare the brief of evidence.

El Sabsabi did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody to reappear on February 3.