Sydney FC captain Renee Rollason scored both of her team’s goals to ensure a 2-1 win against Brisbane Roar in round two of the W-League.

A stunning performance from Sydney FC captain Renee Rollason lifted the Sky Blues to a crucial 2-1 against-the-odds win over fellow title-contenders Brisbane Roar.

Rollason scored both goals for the visiting Sydney FC with the stalwart central defender only denied an unlikely hat-trick by a finger-tip save from Brisbane goalkeeper Kate Stewart.

The W-League’s two most successful teams have a long history of contentious battles and this was no different with goalmouth action aplenty in a contest that at times threatened to boil over.

Sydney FC fullback Teigan Allen was sent off midway through the second half after collecting two yellow cards, while Emily Gielnik’s goal for Brisbane was awarded despite protests for a foul on Sky Blues goalkeeper Casey Dumont.

Gielnik drew her side level late in the first half with a close-range finish, with Rollason having earlier slid in at the far post to open the scoring.

The decisive moment of the contest came when Rollason expertly curled in a free-kick inside Stewart’s near post with a quarter of an hour remaining.

Both Rollason and Brisbane’s Katrina Gorry hit the frame of the goal in the dying stages of an end-to-end contest.

“It was a really good team effort,” said Sydney midfielder Nicola Bolger.

“When we went down to 10 we dug really deep and I’m super proud.

“We couldn’t ask for a better start (to the season).”

Sydney retain a share of top spot after two rounds with Perth Glory and Canberra United also making it two wins from as many starts.

Canberra were pushed all the way at Adelaide United, leaving with a battling 1-0 win.

A lone strike from USA forward Stephanie Ochs on the hour mark was enough for Canberra to collect the win and maintain a narrow lead at the top of the fledgling ladder on goal difference.

The newly strengthened Perth Glory displayed their title credentials, beating Newcastle Jets 2-1 for a second successive win.

First-half goals from Marianna Tabain and Alanna Kennedy proved enough to outlast the Jets who pulled a goal back through Tara Andrews, while both teams had late goals controversially ruled out.

The final match of the round saw reigning champions Melbourne Victory overcome an early deficit to win an eight-goal thriller.

New signing Racheal Quigley scored a treble for the Victory, while USA midfielder Keelin Winters netted twice for the Wanderers as last year’s grand final winners got off the mark with a 5-3 scoreline.