Signs have been placed on bins at busy Brisbane train stations telling commuters they are no longer available for safety reasons.
Bins at Brisbane’s busiest train stations have been closed to commuters as part of the raised national terrorism threat level.
Laminated signs greeted Monday morning travellers, along with extra police at city stations.
“For safety reasons this bin is no longer available,” the signs say.
“Please take your rubbish with you.
“We apologise for any inconvenience.”
A Queensland Rail spokeswoman said the signs were in response to Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s announcement on Friday that Australia’s terrorism threat level had been moved from medium to high.
The signs have appeared at Central, South Brisbane, Fortitude Valley and Bowen Hills stations.
AAP saw about six uniformed police officers patrolling Central station during the busy lunch hour.
On Friday night, public tours were cancelled at Parliament House, and extra security officers were assigned to the building.
Premier Campbell Newman declined to say when he would like the doors to be reopened to the public.
“That’s not a matter for me, that’s a matter for the Speaker and committee of the Legislative Assembly,” he told reporters on Sunday.