New witness statements claiming last year’s Gold Coast bikie brawl was premeditated has forced a delay in the trial of the alleged rioters.
Queensland’s biggest bikie trial has been delayed until at least next year after new evidence from witnesses emerged.
The 10-day trial of 23 accused rioters, charged over last year’s notorious bikie brawl on the Gold Coast, had been set to start on Monday in the Southport Magistrates Court.
However the trial was delisted on Tuesday with no new date set.
Police prosecutors last week revealed they had statements from Crime and Corruption Commission “star chamber” hearings that they would use as evidence in the trial.
The revelation came during an application by alleged brawl ringleader Jacques Teamo for a separate trial.
Prosecutors said the statements from 11 witnesses would prove 60 members of the Bandidos bikie gang intentionally converged in Broadbeach to seek out members of the rival Finks gang.
The accused have previously said they were in the area to have a “bite to eat” and that the scuffle at the Aura restaurant with Finks associates Matthew Sward and Jason Trouchet was coincidental.
Magistrate Terry Duroux said during Friday’s hearing that the new evidence could open a “potential Pandora’s box” if transcripts couldn’t be provided to defence lawyers in time for the start of the trial.
On Tuesday the court heard the transcripts hadn’t been provided by the prosecution and Mr Duroux said he had to delist the trial in the “interests of justice”.
The matter will return to court for a mention on December 2.