Raiders fullback Anthony Milford has declined to comment on the news he’ll be coached by Wayne Bennett at the Broncos next year.
Like everyone else, Canberra sensation Anthony Milford has just found out he’ll be coached at Brisbane next year by NRL super coach Wayne Bennett.
Except he seems to be the only person around whose tongue hasn’t been set wagging by it.
“It’s not my part to try and have a say in. I’m still with the Raiders this year and I’m still trying to do a job here,” Milford said on Tuesday.
The Broncos have previously indicated they want to move Milford from fullback to five-eighth, with the side boasting Ben Barba and Josh Hoffman – and possibly Bennett-loyalist Darius Boyd – at the back.
Fortunately Milford would have a reliable transition mentor in Bennett, whose decision to move Darren Lockyer from fullback to five-eighth at the Broncos back in 2004 proved a masterstroke.
When asked if he hoped Bennett’s track record in shifting players would help him during any position move, Milford stuck firmly to the Raiders’ line.
“Again, I’ve left that to next year. I’m 100 per cent focused on the Raiders for these last (seven) games,” he said.
“I want to put all my effort into that.”
However Milford did indicate he was open to a possible switch to a playmaker role.
“I’m happy wherever – to be playing in the NRL in any position,” he said.
“There is no individual bigger than the team, so wherever the coach wants me, that’s where I’ll play.”
In the meantime, Milford will focus his attention on Monday night’s NRL clash against South Sydney at Canberra’s GIO Stadium.
Having just slogged it out against Maroons fullback Billy Slater in his side’s 28-14 loss against Melbourne, Milford will now face another huge challenge against Rabbitohs No.1 Greg Inglis.
“I like those kinds of challenges – trying to test yourself against one of the best in the world.”