Queensland man Alan Leahy, who’s avoided standing trial for the murders of his wife and her friend in 1991, is considering legal options to clear his name.
A Queensland man who has avoided being put on trial for murdering his wife and her friend more than two decades ago says he might take further legal action to clear his name.
The Court of Appeal on Tuesday rejected an application that would have given Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie more time to try to have Alan Leahy stand trial for the 1991 murders of his wife Julie-Anne Leahy and her friend Vicki Arnold.
Former state coroner Michael Barnes last year ordered Mr Leahy be committed to stand trial after concluding during a third inquest into the deaths that they were deliberate and not the result of a murder-suicide.
But the Supreme Court later overruled that decision and Mr Bleijie’s attempt to have it reversed failed.
Mr Leahy says he is grateful judges on multiple occasions have identified “comprehensive errors” made by Mr Barnes.
“My only regret is that (the) decision did not require the Court of Appeal to make findings about other alleged errors by Coroner Barnes,” he said in a statement issued by his lawyers on Wednesday.
“Until I have received legal advice about my options in respect of others involved in this flawed process, I will not be commenting further.”
Mr Bleijie had applied for an extension to lodge an appeal against the Supreme Court’s decision that overturned the coroner’s ruling for Mr Leahy to stand trial, given he did not file for appeal within the 28-day time frame.
However, the Court of Appeal rejected the application on the basis that Mr Bleijie would have little chance of success if an appeal was granted.
The court also ordered the state government pay 70 per cent of Mr Leahy’s legal costs.