Nate Myles says rugby league needs to find a solution to the physical toll on State of Origin stars to ensure the best players take part in the series.
Queensland star Nate Myles has joined a growing number of people voicing concerns over the heavy toll State of Origin takes on players.
Myles was one of several players to pick up injuries during last week’s bruising series opener in Brisbane where NSW claimed a hard-fought 12-8 win.
The Gold Coast forward was subsequently cleared of a broken hand and will be free to play in the Titans round 13 NRL clash against Penrith on Saturday.
While Myles had a bye last weekend with his club team, NSW stars Josh Morris, Brett Morris, Jarryd Hayne, Paul Gallen, Anthony Watmough and Queensland players Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Daly Cherry-Evans all missed their NRL matches in the wake of the Origin opener.
Queensland skipper Cameroon Smith, who overcame an ankle sprain to line-up for Melbourne, was one of several to put their battered bodies on the line over the weekend.
“I did watch the guys go around on the weekend and I thought it was silly in some aspects to see some of them and how they were going,” Myles said.
“It’s what we get dealt … you can’t really do much about it, you’ve just got to get on with it. That’s what the boys are doing to their credit.”
Myles said the demand on players needed to be looked at, especially as stars such as Cronk (broken arm), Josh Morris (knee) and Brett Morris (shoulder) are all going to miss Origin II in Sydney on June 18.
“There’s guys there that have been doing it for a number of years and you can see now the toll that it’s taking on them. The game last Wednesday was physical and fast. I think everyone could see that.
“There’s no-one that’s going out of their realms to complain about it but I just think it’s something that needs to be set-up better for the players. It’s the pinnacle of our sport and we just want to make sure the best players are there to play it.”