A Supreme Court judge has reserved her decision on whether prison escapee John Reginald Killick will have his extradition order overturned.

Prison escapee John Reginald Killick has been left to sweat on whether his extradition order will be overturned.

Killick is fighting an order to send him back to Queensland over an alleged breach of bail 21 years ago.

If upheld, he would potentially have to serve the two-and-a-half-year balance of a sentence imposed in that state for an armed robbery in 1983.

This month, Killick was ordered to fly from his Sydney home to Brisbane and report to Queensland Police.

But five days later, the 72-year-old convicted armed robber, who in 1999 famously fled Sydney’s Silverwater prison in a helicopter hijacked by his then girlfriend, had his extradition delayed by the Supreme Court.

In the same court on Friday, Justice Carolyn Simpson opted to reserve her decision on the extradition order.

Killick remains on bail with an electronic tag on his ankle.

Killick gained international notoriety when he went on the run for 45 days in 1999 after his then girlfriend, Lucy Dudko, hijacked a helicopter at gunpoint and had it flown to the Silverwater prison exercise yard, where Killick was serving time for armed robbery.

He jumped in the chopper and flew off amid cheers from other inmates and gunshots from prison guards.

After being recaptured, he went back to prison until April this year, when he was granted parole.

Immediately after his release, Queensland authorities produced a warrant for the pensioner’s arrest and sought his extradition.

Queensland Police claim Killick breached his parole in 1993 after an offence of violence armed with a dangerous weapon.

Killick’s lawyers, who are acting pro bono, argue the extradition order is invalid and an abuse of process that wastes taxpayer money.

Even if he is extradited to Queensland, his legal team expects him to be released almost immediately on parole.

“He will be in a perfect position to convince the Queensland authorities that he has been rehabilitated and ready to enter Queensland society,” his lawyer Joseph Crowley said.

“He will return to Queensland merely to apply for parole, be granted it, then return to NSW.”