The Queensland government has made more concessions to get doctors to sign individual contracts and end a long-running dispute.
Queensland doctors will be spared from worrying about the profitability of their hospital under a state government concession on contracts.
Senior medical officers have threatened to quit over the individual contracts, which need to be signed by April 30.
But in a move to end the long-running dispute, the government has offered to remove an existing clause where doctors could be sacked if their work impedes the profitability of their local health service.
Lobby group Keep Our Doctors feared medicos would think twice before keeping patients in for longer, or doing a costly experimental treatment.
Health Minister Lawrence Springborg said the clause had been misrepresented.
“At present, this term is intended to promote respect for and the protection of public health resources,” he said in a statement.
“But I recognise that phraseology has caused concern among some doctors and the government has agreed to delete any such reference.
“The changes remove the remaining doubts.”
The clause will be removed from new contracts which will be sent out before Easter.
A raft of concessions made three weeks ago will also be included.
Australian Medical Association president Steve Hambleton welcomed the new offer.
“It is a real chance to settle the dispute,” he said.
“But we still have to go over the fine detail to ensure that all the doctor concerns have been addressed.”
Another last minute concession would also allow doctors to advise Mr Springborg of key performance indicators, which will be attached to doctors’ remuneration from 2016.