Australian-raised cameraman Darren Conway has been recognised for his services to British broadcast journalism at a Buckingham Palace ceremony.
An Australian-raised cameraman now working for the BBC says an OBE he received from the Prince of Wales is recognition for all journalists who’ve lost their lives covering conflicts.
Darren Conway, who has worked in war zones including Afghanistan, Syria, Kosovo and the Arab Spring, collected his Officer of the Order of the British Empire at Buckingham Palace on Friday.
Mr Conway was brought up just outside Brisbane but now lives in Bangkok.
He thought someone was playing a joke when the embassy in Thailand called to say he had been recognised for his services to British broadcast journalism.
“We work in a field where so many people make it happen so to single out one person is a bit hard to comprehend,” the cameraman said.
“If you think about how many people in our field have risked everything for their job – they have lost their lives, have been disappeared or have not come back – I hope it is a good recognition for all of them and not just me.”
Mr Conway was speaking after it was revealed veteran Associated Press photographer Anja Niedringhaus, 48, had been killed when an Afghan policeman opened fire while she was sitting in a car in eastern Afghanistan.
AP reporter Kathy Gannon was also wounded in Friday’s attack.
Mr Conway in London said his job was all about giving a voice to others so being the centre of attention was out of the ordinary.
“This is a little bit different to what I normally do,” he said.
“It is a bit impressive, a bit more glamorous, but fun.”