Qld’s Director of Public Prosecutions has been given a brief of evidence about whether LNP figures gave false statements over the so-called Flegg tapes.
The Crime and Misconduct Commission has referred a brief to the Director of Public Prosecutions over whether Liberal National Party figures gave false or misleading statements over the “Flegg tape” controversy.
While the CMC said in December there was no evidence of electoral bribery, the brief of evidence on misleading statements wrapped up recently.
“The matter now has just recently been concluded in the last week,” acting CMC chairman Ken Levy told the parliamentary crime and misconduct committee on Monday, adding it had since been sent to the DPP.
Party officials were allegedly secretly recorded offering Moggill MP Bruce Flegg plum overseas jobs in return for giving up his seat to now premier Campbell Newman.
The deal never eventuated and Mr Newman, a former Brisbane lord mayor, ultimately contested and won the seat of Ashgrove.
Acting Assistant Commissioner Misconduct Kathleen Florian said the investigation had been known as operation Zeus.
She said it wasn’t the practice to identify specific matters which had been referred to the DPP and didn’t want to confirm or deny that the DPP is now investigating.
But she said further consideration had been given about false and misleading evidence and “a brief of evidence is currently under consideration”.
The LNP told AAP no official from the LNP has had any contact from the CMC, or any other body, with regards to this matter.
Comment has been sought from Dr Flegg.