A jailed drink driver has told an inquest that police repeatedly said they weren’t chasing him in the aftermath of a crash that killed two pedestrians.
A jailed drink driver says police repeatedly stated they weren’t chasing him after his car hit and killed two pedestrians on a Queensland road, an inquest has heard.
Police had been trailing West Australian miner Brett Glenbar’s rental car before it crashed into Brisbane couple, Ronald Ellison, 46, and Jacqueline Sylvester, 40, and hit another vehicle.
An inquest is underway in Brisbane into the cause of the fatal collision and whether the intercept complied with Queensland Police’s pursuit policies.
So far it has heard conflicting evidence about whether police sirens sounded during the night-time intercept in Park Ridge, south of Brisbane, in December 2009.
It’s also heard a police report found officers hadn’t breached pursuit policy but had infringed the service’s safe driving policy.
Glenbar is serving a 10-year jail sentence for two counts of manslaughter after a Supreme Court judge found he was also more than four times over the blood alcohol limit.
Glenbar, who gave evidence from prison via video at the inquest on Wednesday, said he had “no clue” how fast he was driving before he was intercepted.
He initially said he was travelling at 110km/h or 120km/h but couldn’t say whether it was closer to 200km/h.
The police car was travelling about 350m behind at speeds which could have reached 188km/h.
Glenbar said he didn’t hear any sirens but saw red and blue flashing lights. He said he didn’t stop because he wasn’t sure if police wanted him to.
His passenger, Phillip Chang, told the inquest he did hear sirens even though his police statement in 2009 said no sirens had sounded.
Jordon Hohepa and Mark-Alan Hohepa, the father and son in the hatchback Glenbar hit, told the inquest via telephone the police car’s siren was not sounding.
After the crash, Glenbar said a police officer told him there was no pursuit.
“He said `you got it? This wasn’t a police chase’,” Glenbar told the inquest.
“It was said to me five times and even before I left the scene.”
Another officer also made a similar comment afterwards, he said.
The driver of the police car, Senior Constable Philip Brock, had failed to check his speedometer and an investigation concluded he may have been travelling up to 188km/h.
He was disciplined and given “remedial training”.
The inquest before coroner Terry Ryan continues.