The death of a man in a generator fire has prompted Queensland’s coroner to recommend tighter safety regulations at rural tourist accommodation.

The Queensland coroner has recommended safety regulations for farmstay accommodation after a man was killed in a power generator fire at a rural property.

Nicholas Johnson, 47, died in a shed fire attempting to refuel a petrol generator while holidaying at a farmstay at Tarome, 100km southwest of Queensland, in 2011.

Coroner John Hutton delivered his findings on Friday following an inquest into Mr Johnson’s death in Brisbane last year.

The coroner found the father of two died from smoke inhalation in a fire that was caused either by fuel spilling on the generator or static discharge igniting fuel vapours.

Mr Hutton said inadequate safety systems at the property – including the absence of fire extinguishers and pressurised water supply – contributed to the fatal incident.

He found the petrol generator was kept in a poorly ventilated shed and guests were given a large jerry can and a small plastic funnel to refuel it against the manufacturer’s recommendation.

“This case has demonstrated the danger of relying on owners and managers of such tourist accommodation businesses taking appropriate action to adequately manage the risk of fire,” Mr Hutton wrote.

He recommended state and local government bodies consult to consider regulating fire safety at tourist accommodation such as farmstays.

Specific consideration should be given to ensuring power generators are housed appropriately and safety systems are in place when guests operate them, Mr Hutton said.

He also recommended compulsory numbering of rural properties to help emergency services locate them.