The 279 guests at Heron Island resort have had their Christmas holidays cut short after a fire cut all power and water on the island.
A Queensland resort island is being evacuated after a fire cut off water and power on Christmas night.
The blaze broke out in a generator room on Heron Island, about 80km northeast of Gladstone, late on Wednesday night.
A resort spokeswoman says the fire was quickly put out by emergency services before it spread to other areas, but it destroyed the island’s main power generator.
“That means we have no water, or power, or sanitation services,” she told AAP.
The spokeswoman said 279 guests and most of the resort staff were being ferried off the island on Thursday.
“All of our guests are safe, that’s the most important thing,” she said.
A skeleton staff crew will remain on the island until a technical crew arrives to fix the generators.