Brisbane Roar have beaten Adelaide United 2-1 in Friday night’s A-League clash thanks to a double from striker Besart Berisha.

Brisbane Roar came from behind to claim a 2-1 A-League victory over Adelaide United at Coopers Stadium on Friday night courtesy of a double to striker Besart Berisha.

The Reds took a shock lead on seven minutes, relentless forward pressure resulting in Osama Malik pouncing on a loose ball from a corner to head home from close range.

The Roar weren’t at their best but managed to equalise in the 21st minute when Berisha converted a penalty.

Brisbane’s hitman then sunk Adelaide hearts when he snatched the winner and his fifth goal of the season for the league leaders with a fortunate finish in the 72nd minute.

With the Roar pinned in their own half under a flurry of attacks, United opened the scoring when Marcelo Carrusca’s in-swinging corner caused a goalmouth scramble at the near post before the ball squeezed out for an unmarked Malik to score.

The visitors struggled to break through Adelaide’s high press until they were gifted a chance to equalise midway through the first half.

Roar skipper Matt McKay’s throw released Corey Brown into the visitors’ box where Reds defender Tarek Elrich brought down the teenager with a clumsy challenge.

Berisha stepped up for the spot-kick and sent Reds captain Eugene Galekovic the wrong way to level proceedings.

Sergio Cirio then wasted back-to-back chances for the Reds with both of the Spanish attacker’s efforts drifting inches wide.

The Roar continued to ride their luck when keeper Matt Acton spared the blushes of his defence just before the half.

He produced a brilliant save to deny Fabio Ferreira from close range after a failed clearance had ricocheted into the path of the Reds winger.

Berisha secured a seventh win for the Roar in the second stanza when he slithered his way past two United defenders before tumbling down and getting the slightest of touches to poke the ball past Galekovic.

Cirio and Jeronimo both fluffed chances late to snatch a point for the home side before referee Peter O’Leary waved away desperate pleas for a United penalty at the death.

Adelaide United coach Josep Gombau said he was satisfied with his side’s performance but disappointed in the end result.

“I am happy with the way that we played, but the result is the most important we need to get results,” he said.

“We won the possession count, crosses, attempts on goal and we created more chances, but unfortunately they scored two goals and won.”

Brisbane Roar coach Mike Mulvey admitted his troops were fortunate to escape with all three points.

“I think we were very lucky (to win), we could have been 3-1 down at halftime and they (Adelaide United) deserve a lot of credit for the way they played,” he said.

“We weren’t at the races, so I have to give my lads a lot of credit for responding to what we spoke about at halftime.”