Jesse ‘The Monstar’ Williams, the Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle from Brisbane who was diagnosed with cancer last year, has been cleared to return to football.
Williams, a fifth-round pick of the Seattle Seahawks in 2013, had surgery to remove a kidney in May after a diagnosis of Papillary Type 2 cancer.
He actually returned from the surgery to play in the preseason, but was placed back on the non-football injury list in September, sitting out the season.
Despite being in the league for three years, Williams has never actually had a chance to play in a regular-season NFL game — he missed his first two seasons because of knee surgeries, and received his cancer diagnosis before his third season.
Williams, who played his college football at Alabama under coach Nick Saban, says he dealt with the injuries and cancer diagnosis by following Saban’s philosophy of celebrating victories and mourning losses for just 24 hours before getting back to work.
“I pretty much did that with everything I’ve had so far,” Williams told the Seattle Times.
“Cancer, knee injury, anything that comes up, I’ve got 24 hours. I’ll deal with it and I’ll come back and I go to work.”
Standing 191 centimetres and weighing 147 kilograms, Jesse cuts an imposing figure — and there’s a chance you might have seen him around town recently, as he spent much of the season in Brisbane training and spending time with his wife and newborn son.
This morning, Jesse shared the great news with his Twitter followers that he has been cleared to return to football.
— Jesse Williams (@ThaMonstar) January 28, 2016
With all due respect to Jarryd Hayne, we’ll be cheering for Jesse when the next NFL season kicks off in September.