The new Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital will open its doors to the public next month and Children’s Health Queensland chief executive Peter Steer says the health service is excited to put Queensland’s “most advanced children’s hospital” on show.
Want to see what the new hospital will look like? You just need to register first as staff can only manage 6000 people.
“This open day will provide a unique opportunity to visit what will likely become one of our iconic buildings in Queensland,” Dr Steer says.
He adds that allowing 6000 people through the hospital will give everybody 30 minutes to view the facilities. “In an ideal world, we would have liked to have invited everybody through,” he says. “But in reality, many parts of the hospital have been fully fitted out and cleaned thoroughly for opening later this year.”
The Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital brings together the staff and services of the Royal Children’s Hospital and Mater Children’s Hospital to provide specialist paediatric care for children from birth to 16 years of age (and up to 18 years for established patients). It will provide the very highest level of care to children from all over Queensland, as well as general health services to those living in the local inner-Brisbane community.
The vital stats
- Public hospital owned and operated by Children’s Health Queensland
- All highly specialised children’s health services in one location
- 359 beds – 25 per cent more that the Royal Children’s and Mater Children’s hospitals combined
- All existing services of the Royal Children’s Hospital and Mater Children’s Hospital, plus new clinics to treat obesity, pain and allergies; a specialised adolescent service; and paediatric renal treatment
- 12 clinical levels with room for expansion
- Basement car park
- Convenient access to multi-level car parks for staff and visitors
- Adjacent Centre for Children’s Health Research
- Convenient access to public transport (bus, train, ferry) and the South Bank Parklands
- Helipad for emergency access
If you would like to see it from the inside, book a tour time. Just go to the website and select the ‘Register for the LCCH Sneak Peek’ link. Tours will run from 8am to 4pm, on Sunday 12 October only. For more information, head to our event guide listing.