Here are some tips on what is ‘in’ for the fashions on the field, writes Laura Stead-Churchill.
While the Brisbane Racing Carnival yields $8.8 million in prize money for its races, the fashions on the field competition upped the ante this year also, with more than $20,000 up for grabs to those who best demonstrate Brisbane’s racing fashion style.
New fashion partner Indooroopilly Shopping Centre offers inspiration with winter fashion trends crossing seamlessly to racewear when the right accessories are added.
Here’s what is in:
Winter’s muted florals are the perfect base for a romantic racewear look, as is the season’s monochrome trend which, when accessoried with a splash of red, ties in to the Stradbroke Day dress code.
Oaks Day is traditionally marked as ladies day so florals are again a hit, as well as lace, which continues to be strong for winter, and can look modern and edgy when paired with leather.
Men should aim for a dapper combination of a light-weight suit, ideally in navy or grey rather than black, and add some special details like a pocket handkerchief, a floral pin in the lapel or a flat woollen cap or fedora.
Additional fashions on the field competitions this year means there’s even more chance to impress.
Doomben 10,000 day will include a best dressed couple category, Oaks Day has a dedicated prize for best hat, and Stradbroke Day will award an additional prize to the best dressed male.
My racewear tips:
• Match your bag, shoes and millinery to your outfit;
• Wear a headpiece in wool or felt, florals or feathers, not straw or sinnamay;
• Wear hosiery, especially if you’re planning to compete in fashions on the field;
• Pay attention to the details – for women this means special attention given to hair, manicure and makeup, for men it’s about details like a pocket square, floral lapel pin or fun coloured socks;
• Take note of the season’s trends.
• Dress as though you’re headed to a nightclub. Aim for elegant daywear;
• Wear uncomfortable shoes. Choose a mid heel or wedge, especially if you’ll be out on grass, and consider packing a foldable set of flats if you’re planning on walking too far at the end of the day;
• Be uncomfortable. Dress for style but consider comfort so you can enjoy the day.
KEY FASHION ON THE FIELD DATES:
|Saturday 10 May 2014||Bundaberg Distilling Co. BTC Cup Day, Doomben Racecourse||‘Spotted’ fashions on the field competition, Best dressed (ladies and men)|
|Saturday 17 May 2014||Doomben Cup Day, Doomben Racecourse||‘Spotted’ fashions on the field competition. Best dressed (ladies and men)|
|Saturday 24 May 2014||James Boag’s Premium Doomben 10,000 Day, Doomben Racecourse||Fashions on the field competition. Best dressed, runner-up, second runner-up and best couple.|
|Saturday 31 May 2014||Treasury Casino & Hotel Queensland Oaks Day, Eagle Farm Racecourse||Fashions on the field competition. Best dressed, runner-up, second runner-up and best hat.|
|Saturday 7 June 2014||AAMI Stradbroke Day, Eagle Farm Racecourse||Fashions on the Field competition. Best dressed, runner-up, second runner-up and best dressed man.|