Research indicates that planning is our biggest barrier to home renovating. Here are some tips to help get you on your way…
While many have good intentions to start a home renovation, St. George research has shown that last year, nearly 60 per cent of Australians found that one of the biggest barriers to getting started was having inadequate time to plan.
“Embarking on a home renovation or re-style is an exciting project for many home owners looking to add value to their home or simply change their surroundings,” says Ross Gillam, head of St.George Bank Queensland.
“However, many of us know how time intensive it can be to plan and organise a home renovation, including sticking to a budget.
“We’re regularly talking to customers and we also use our social media channels to ask customers to share their renovations ideas,” he says.
“We’ve put together a list of the top most popular renovation and re-style ideas our customers undertake.”
Renovation and re-style ideas:
1. Create a bigger space: one idea is to take down a non-weight bearing wall, merging two smaller rooms together. This should only be done with the right advice!
2. Create indoor/outdoor living: add an alfresco eating area, patios and decking.
3. Modernise your bathroom and kitchen. A popular and affordable trick is to spray enamel over daggy old tiles, giving them a fresh, bright feel at a tenth of the cost. Dated but sturdy cupboards can be updated with new outer panels giving the whole room a fresh new look.
4. Let more light in – sometimes a better window or glass door can really open up the whole area, as can skylights which are another popular way to brighten up your home.
5. Build more storage to de-clutter and free up space inside.
And for the more budget conscious:
6. A fresh coat of paint and colour to indoor and outdoor areas can make a difference and it’s a great job for the DIY renovator.
7. Get creative: a feature wall or some new artwork can make a huge difference and allows people to show their individual style.
8. DIY floors: rip up old carpet and if possible polish up old floorboards – it’s a very popular way to create an amazing new effect in your home. Colourful rugs are also a great way to decorate.
9. Gardens count: if you have a garden or a balcony area, this is a really easy and affordable way to improve the appearance of your home.