This vegetarian lasagne is perfect for the cooler months and a great way to sneak in lots of vegetables like eggplant, carrot and capsicum.
Are you a fan of this vegetarian lasagne recipe? Share on Facebook!
- 1 large eggplant, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 1 small green capsicum, chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, chopped
- 200g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 150g baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 50g butter
- 3 tablespoon plain flour
- 700ml milk
- 1 cup (120g) grated cheddar cheese
- 375g lasagne sheets
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle eggplant with the salt, place in a colander and stand for 20 minutes. Rinse under water, pat dry with paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the garlic, ginger, carrot and onion; cook, stirring, for 4-5 mins or until onion is soft. Add the eggplant and capsicums; cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir in the spinach thoroughly and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- For the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, add the flour and stir over a medium heat for 1 minute or until the mixture forms a ball. Remove from the heat; gradually whisk in the milk. Stir over a medium heat until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in the cheddar cheese and season to taste.
- Pour a third of the cheese sauce over the base of a 6-cup oven-proof baking dish. Cover with a third of the pasta, then half the vegetable mixture. Repeat layers using vegetables and pasta.
- Pour remaining cheese sauce over pasta layer, making sure all the pasta is covered. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Bake for 45-50 mins, or until the top is golden brown and the pasta is tender.