Dine in with friends and enjoy a taste of the Far East, with this delicious thai meal that bursts with flavour.
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tblspn chopped garlic
- 1 tblspn chopped galangal (or ginger)
- 2 tblspns red Thai curry paste
- 500ml brown chicken stock
- 2 tblspns fish sauce
- 1 tblspn grated palm sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 440ml Mae Ploy coconut cream
- 4 cups jasmine rice
- 6 cups water
- 1.2kg whole green prawns (shell on),
- then peeled and deveined
- 1 large red capsicum, diced
- 2 Japanese (long) eggplants, sliced
- 100g fine green beans, blanched
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g pineapple chunks
- 1 bunch Thai basil leaves
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
Add a little oil to a saucepan and cook the onion, galangal and garlic then add the
curry paste and cook for a few minutes, being careful to stir frequently.
Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil and skim. Next, add the fish sauce, palm sugar, lime and leaves, simmer for 15 minutes, then add the coconut cream. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
In a thick-based pot or rice cooker, add the washed and drained jasmine rice and the water. Bring to the boil while stirring, then cover tightly with a lid. Turn down heat very low and steam for 20 minutes. Do not stir or lift the lid until cooked.
In a non-stick pan sauté the cleaned prawns, then add the red capsicum, eggplant and the green beans and scorch for 3 minutes. Next, add the curry sauce, cherry tomatoes, pineapple and basil leaves.
Simmer for 5 minutes then serve in a table tureen with the steamed jasmine rice and fresh coriander on the side.