This frittata-like spinach, bacon and feta recipe would make a great breakfast, but is hearty enough for dinner as well…
Are you a fan of this frittata recipe? Share on Facebook!
- 1 pound fresh spinach leaves, washed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 slices bacon, cut in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 12 eggs, beaten
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Put a large stockpot over high heat. Add the butter, and as soon as it melts, dump in all the spinach and cover the pot quickly. Leave for one minute, uncover, and continue cooking, stirring the spinach with a long wooden spoon, until just wilted. Transfer to a colander to drain. When the spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze as much liquid out as possible, and roughly chop. Reserve until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- In a 10 to 12-inch ovenproof skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until almost crisp, add the onions and a pinch of salt, and continue cooking until the onions are translucent, about 6-7 minutes. Any excess bacon fat can be removed at this point.
- Stir in the spinach. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and cayenne to taste. When the spinach is heated through, add the eggs and stir with a spatula to combine thoroughly. Turn off the heat, and top with the crumbled feta cheese. Use the spatula to press the cheese down into the egg slightly.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then finish under the grill for about 3 minutes, or until the eggs are just set, and the top is lightly browned. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving