Richard Ousby, head chef at Stokehouse, has a delicious recipe for those desiring something hot and sweet.
1 ripe pineapple (I like to use Bethonga)
250g brown sugar
1 star anise
6 Szechwan pepper corns
1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Place the spices, brown sugar and water in a small pan
- Bring to the boil and set aside to infuse
- Cut the husk from the pineapple
- Place in a shallow dish standing upright and pour over stained syrup
- Place in 160°C oven
- Every 10 to 15 minutes open the oven and using a large spoon ladle over the syrup
- After about 35 minutes turn the pineapple over and continue until everything is nice and sticky
- Be careful not to burn the pineapple. The longer it cooks, the easier it is to burn, but the better it becomes!
- Let it cool a little then thinly slice
- Coat the sliced pineapple with the reduced syrup, then spoon some vanilla ice cream on top
- Curl up on the couch and enjoy!
Richard Ousby is head chef at Stokehouse, Sidon Street, South Bank.