To celebrate Healthy Weight Week, the DAA have released a bunch of healthy meal tips, including this recipe for poached chicken salad!
- 2cm piece ginger
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked,
- stems and roots reserved
- 2 x 200g chicken breasts
- 1L reduced-salt chicken stock
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon salt reduced soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cucumbers, julienned or grated
- 2 small carrots, julienned or grated
- ¼ Chinese cabbage, core discarded,
- leaves sliced as thinly as possible
- Large handful snow peas, sliced as thinly
- as possible, on an angle
- 1 bunch mint, leaves picked
- Handful bean sprouts
- ¼ cup roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- Trim ginger and place the off cuts in a large saucepan with the coriander stems and roots. Grate the remaining ginger finely and reserve for the dressing. Pour the stock into the saucepan.
- Bring to the boil then add chicken. Return to the boil, then immediately reduce heat down to a very gentle simmer (you just want the odd bubble). If the water is boiling, the chicken can become a bit tough. Cook for 15–20 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through.
- Remove from heat and allow chicken to stand in the stock for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and shred the meat. Reserve stock for another recipe, it also makes a delicious light soup base.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the grated ginger, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Combine coriander leaves, cucumber, carrot, Chinese cabbage, snow peas, mint, bean sprouts and cashews in a large bowl. Toss through dressing. Gently mix through the shredded chicken, divide between bowls and serve.