The subtle flavour of the smoked salmon is complimented further by the sour cream based, herb tart and a simple radish salad.
- 2 medium Tuscan Red onions (sliced thin)
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 20ml balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup garlic chives and Italian parsley (chopped)
- 4 eggs
- 160g sour cream
- to taste salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 sheets ready rolled butter shortcrust pastry
- 6 slices HUON cold smoked salmon
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan and add the sliced onions. Cook until golden, stirring quite often, and then add the balsamic vinegar.
- When rich and glossy remove from the pan and cool. Line a lightly oiled 12 portion muffin tray with 100 mm cut rounds of the butter shortcrust pastry.
- Bake at 160°C for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, press the bottoms flat and add in the caramelised onions.
- Combine the sour cream with the eggs and herbs. Season well and pour mixture evenly over the onions.
- Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes or until golden and puffed up a little. Roll the smoked salmon into cylinders, cut each in half and place a portion onto the tartlets.
Serves: 12 (makes 12 tartlets)
Prep time: 10min • Cook time: 20min