Nutmeg cake has been around for many years, sometimes called Armenian or Indonesian nutmeg cake.
The nutmeg may be from Indonesia, but the cake and use of quatre epices sweet is of European origin. This moist cake with its crunchy base makes it special and enjoyable up to the last crumb. Recipe credit to Herbie’s Spices!
2 cups plain flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons Herbie’s Spices quatre epices sweet
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons Herbie’s Spices ground nutmeg
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 180oC and grease a 20cm springform cake tin.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, sweet quatre epices and baking powder, then rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Spoon almost half this mixture over the base of the prepared tin.
- Whisk the bicarbonate of soda; egg and nutmeg into the milk, then add the milk mixture to the remaining flour mixture. Stir well.
- Pour the batter over the crumbs in the tin, then sprinkle the white sugar over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with a dollop of good thick cream.
Prep time: 15min • Cook time: 70min