Damper has been a classic Aussie food throughout history. Make a tasty rendition of the icon this Australia Day!
Combine flavours such as macadamia, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, and mountain pepper berry for this delicious damper. Recipe credit to Australian Macadamias.
2 cups self raising flour
1 tablespoon ground mountain pepper berry
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted macadamias, roasted
100g semi-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 cup firmly packed basil leaves, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon macadamia oil
Milk for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, add ground mountain pepper berry, salt, macadamias, tomatoes and basil leaves and make a well in the centre.
- Combine the buttermilk and oil, pour into the well and use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until the mixture just comes together then use your hands to bring the mixture together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead for a couple of minutes or until
- smooth. Shape into a disc and place onto a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Dip a sharp knife into flour and mark 8 wedges on the top of the damper. Brush with milk and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the damper is golden and cooked through and sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Cool on a wire rack.
Prep time: 15min • Cook time: 30min