Celebrate Australia Day with a twist in your traditional lamingtons! Macadamia Chocolate Lamingtons recipe thanks to Australian Macadamias
Give this sweet Aussie icon a twist this year. Anyone can enjoy a lamington – but everyone will be coming back for seconds servings of the Macadamia Chocolate Lamingtons this Australia Day.
125g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup self raising flour, sifted
1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
2 cups shredded coconut
2 cups unsalted macadamias, roasted
6 cups icing sugar mixture
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 20 x 30cm (base) lamington pan. Line with non-stick baking paper, leaving a 2cm overhang on all sides.
- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift half the flour and cocoa over the butter mixture and stir until combined. Mix through half the milk and repeat with the remaining flour, cocoa and milk.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl add the butter and boiling water and stir until smooth.
- Cut cake into 15 pieces. Place the macadamia and coconut into a food processor and pulse to blend together, tip onto a dish.
- Use a fork and dip one piece of cake into the icing mixture, shake off any excess and toss in the macadamia and coconut.
- Place onto a wire rack over a baking tray. Repeat with remaining cake, icing, coconut and macadamias.