Now is the perfect time for making these delicious hot cross buns made from wholemeal spelt, oats, raisins, honey, cinnamon and vanilla.
Are you a fan of this recipe for hot cross buns? Share on Facebook!
- 220g whole meal spelt or whole-wheat flour
- 50 g rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 125 ml (1/2 cup milk) your choice of dairy, almond, rice, oat, soy
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract or 1/2 of paste
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) macadamia nut oil or olive oil
- 1 free range / organic egg, lightly beaten
- 80g raisins
- 50 g currants
- Mix the wholemeal flour, oats, cinnamon, yeast and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl.
- Warm the milk, vanilla and honey just a little until just slightly warm, then pour into the mixing bowl along with the egg and oil.
- Mix the dough for about 6 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Add the dried fruits and mix through.
- Cover the bowl with a clean cloth or glad wrap and leave the dough to double in size in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Knock back the dough and tip in onto your working bench.
- Kneed a little then shape into 10 rolls.
- Cover lightly and allow to rise for another 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Preheat your oven to 160 C.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Cool then if you like pipe a cross made from either white or dark chocolate on top.