Love it or hate it, you can’t ignore that more and more Aussie kids (big and small) are jumping on the Halloween bandwagon.
If you’re stocking up the lolly jar to satisfy trick-or-treaters, these spooky cupcakes from The Dairy Kitchen are just the thing to set the mood. And, in true Halloween fashion, there’s more to these treats than meets the eye.
“Halloween is an excuse to dress up,” says The Dairy Kitchen’s Amanda Menegazzo. “So we’ve dressed up a traditional chocolate cupcake with beetroot in disguise and cloaked it in a ghostly cream cheese frosting.
“The beetroot adds moisture and a sophistication that adults will enjoy while young revellers will be conjuring up spells to get their hands on these oh-so-cute choccie cakes.
“They’ll be screaming for more.”
This recipe was supplied by The Dairy Kitchen.
125g butter, chopped
100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1 cup finely grated beetroot
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
Black writing icing or piping gel, to decorate
Cream cheese frosting
500g cream cheese, softened
125g butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Melt butter and chocolate in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and stir in beetroot and sugar. Stir in eggs and buttermilk, and then sift over flour, cocoa and baking powder. Stir until combined.
- Two thirds fill 12 x paper case lined muffin pans with the mixture and bake at 180°C for 18-20 minutes or until just cooked. Remove from pans and cool completely on a cooling rack before decorating.
- For the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spoon frosting into a large piping bag with a plain nozzle or a thick snaplock bag, snipping off the corner. Pipe icing in thick swirls onto cooled cupcakes, working from the outside in and finishing with a peak, to resemble a ghost. Pipe eyes and mouths onto the frosting to make ghoulish ghost faces!
- You will need about one large or two small-medium beetroot for this recipe.
- To cheat, use pre-purchased chocolate mud cupcakes or muffins and simply make the icing yourself!
Prep time: 20min • Cook time: 20min