Black Hide Steakhouse by Gambaro head chef Lukas McEwan shares his recipe for seafood lovers.
Are you a fan of this squid recipe? Share on Facebook!
- 600g squid tube
- 150g plain flour
- 100g rocket
- 50g shaved parmesan
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
For the romesco
- 1 red capsicum
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 red chilli
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 60g hazelnuts
- 60g blanched almonds
- 150g bread (crust off)
- 100ml olive oil
- Sherry vinegar to taste
First make the sauce:
- Take the capsicum, tomato, chilli and garlic (in the skin), oil and place on a baking tray into a hot oven until skins have blistered.
- Remove capsicums, place in a bowl and wrap with glad wrap. Allow to steam and soften.
- Once cool, skin and deseed all vegetables, including garlic.
- Place hazelnuts on a tray and toast for a few minutes until skins have darkened. Place in a clean tea towel and rub together to remove skins.
- Shallow-fry almonds and bread until golden. Put all ingredients into the blender then add olive oil to emulsify. This should be quite thick.
- Season and let down with sherry vinegar to taste.
For the squid:
- Make an incision down one side to open the tube out flat. Score the squid diagonally then cut into squares.
- In a wok or deep fryer, heat oil to around 180 degrees Celsius.
- Flour and season the squid, fry until golden.
- Make a salad with the rocket, parmesan, lemon and olive oil and serve with squid and romesco.