Head Chef Shigeki Uno from Reef Seafood & Sushi Brisbane shares his recipe for cured ocean trout.
- 1kg side of Sashimi-grade ocean trout
- (skin-on and pin-boned)
- 300g salt
- 300g sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Zest of 2 oranges
- ¼ cup brandy
- 1 cup of fresh dill (finely chopped)
- Mesclun salad mix
- 2 avocados
- 2 lemons (cut in wedges)
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
To cure the ocean trout:
- Place the side of ocean trout on a sheet of aluminium foil skin side down. To make the cure mix, place salt, sugar, lemon zest, orange zest and brandy in a bowl and mix all ingredients until they are combined.
- Place the cure mix over the flesh side of the ocean trout on the aluminium foil (the cure should be approximately 8mm thick), then wrap well in aluminium foil and refrigerate for two days.
- After two days of curing the ocean trout, wash the cure mixture off the ocean trout under water, and then pat dry with a paper towel. Place the chopped dill all over the ocean trout and refrigerate for two hours.
To make the salad:
- Place Mesclun salad mix and avocado on 6 individual plates, mix balsamic vinegar and olive oil and drizzle lightly over the salad.
- Slice the ocean trout thinly (approximately 3mm on an angle) and serve on salad with a wedge of lemon.