This chocolate fudge cake is ideal for a dinner party or a birthday – guests will be coming back for second servings.
Alternatively, add 1 – 2 grated zucchini to the chocolate fudge cake mix. Decorate top with coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted coconut or sifted icing sugar.
2 eggs + 2 eggs
225g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
150g dark chocolate
½ cup (125ml) milk
¼ cup cocoa
150g butter, at room temperature
85g brown sugar
170g Jalna Sweet & Creamy Greek Yoghurt
Fresh berries, to serve
200g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
200g Jalna Sweet & Creamy Greek Yoghurt
- Preheat oven 180°C/160°C fan forced.
- Lightly grease 2 x 22cm round cake tins and line with baking paper.
- Place 2 egg yolks in a cup, the other 2 yolks in another cup and beat egg whites until firm. Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda together into a small bowl.
- Place chocolate, sugar, milk and cocoa in a heatproof bowl. Microwave on moderately high heat, stirring occasionally or place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until chocolate is melted.
- Add two egg yolks, mixing well. Beat together butter, brown sugar, remaining two yolks and yoghurt.
- Gradually combine butter mixture with chocolate mixture, alternating with flour. Fold in egg whites.
- Divide batter into cake tins and bake 30 minutes.
- Stand cakes on wire racks to cool. Ice cakes with chocolate ganache and sandwich together.
Melt chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water or microwave in 30 second bursts on moderately high heat, stirring occasionally until smooth. Stir in yoghurt.
Prep time: 25min • Cook time: 30min