Begin winter with this warming butternut pumpkin tagine…
Are you a fan of this tagine recipe? Share with your friends on Facebook!
For further information on CHIP Eat More recipes, visit the website.
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground curry powder/garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 420g can low-sodium diced tomatoes (or 5 fresh tomatoes, diced)
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 can brown lentils, drained and rinsed or 1 ¾ cups cooked brown lentils
- 600g butternut pumpkin, seeded and chopped into 2.5-centimeter pieces
- 1 tablespoon raisins/currants (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds (optional)
1. Heat water in a large saucepan, add the onion, and cook over low heat until soft and starting to brown (about 8–10 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds, then stir in the ground spices. Cook for 30 seconds, add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and half the parsley and cilantro.
2. Add the lentils and chopped squash/pumpkin. Stir well, then cover and simmer for 20–25 minutes or until the squash is tender
3. Sprinkle with remaining parsley and cilantro to serve. Top with raisins/currants and almonds (optional)
Prep time: 15min • Cook time: 35min