If you prefer something wholesome and savoury in the morning, these buckwheat patties are fabulously versatile – to give you enough fuel to last until midday.
This buckwheat mixture can also be blended in a food processor to make a really wholesome vegetable pâté, dip or sandwich spread.
300g roasted buckwheat groats,
soaked for 4 hours
150ml olive oil
150g onions, finely diced
30g grated ginger
2 tbls grated garlic
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp cumin seeds
500g sweet potato
150g carrot, grated
100g celery, finely chopped
60g green shallots, sliced
4 tbls chopped Italian parsley
80g hulled tahini
2 tsp salt
1. Place 2 litres of water in a pot and bring to the boil. Drain the buckwheat groats and add to the pot of boiling water. Boil for approximately 15 minutes or until just cooked and then drain.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C. Peel sweet potato and cut into 2cm chunks. Place on an oiled tray and roast for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and leave the oven on.
3. Place 75ml of the olive oil in a fry pan and gently sauté the onion, celery, garlic, and ginger until they start to caramelise.
4. Add the spices and gently fry for 20 seconds. Add the grated carrot and fry with the spiced onion mix for 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
5. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine.
6. Shape into 12 patties and place them on a tray drizzled with remaing oil. Bake in the oven for approx 15 minutes or until just golden.
• Cook time: 15min