Quinoa, pronounced ‘keen-wah’, is one of the healthiest foods you can eat. This ancient grain is a wonder protein, and an ideal start to your day.
Quinoa is gluten-free, a relative of spinach, and comes in over 100 varieties! It can be eaten raw, and cooked in a variety of ways – but here’s a recipe from Jalna, for a sweet start to the morning.
2 cups (500ml) milk
1 cup (180g) quinoa, rinsed
2 tablespoons brown sugar + extra for serving
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon + extra for serving
1 cup (250g) Jalna Sweet & Creamy Greek Yoghurt + extra for serving
1 cup fresh blueberries + extra for serving
1/3 cup (50g) coarsely chopped pecans
1. Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes.
4. Stir in yoghurt, blueberries and some of the pecans and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Serve with additional sugar or drizzle of honey, cinnamon, yoghurt, blueberries and pecans.
Tip: Substitute or add other fresh or frozen fruit, such as nectarines, peaches, poached fruit, fruit compote or dried fruit and flaked almonds.
Serves 3 - 4
Prep time: 5min • Cook time: 15min