Bircher muesli makes the ideal breakfast – recipe from Masterchef 2013 Winner Emma Dean’s new book, A Homegrown Table.
- 250 g (9 oz) rolled oats
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, coarsely grated with skin on
- 80 g (2 ½ oz) runny honey
- 250 ml (9 fl oz) thick Greek yoghurt
- About half a cup each of fresh blueberries and poached pears or poached quinces
- Toasted nuts, to garnish
- Weigh your oats into a plastic container or stainless steel bowl and add water until the oats are just barely covered—when you push down on the oats a puddle of water should appear.
- Set aside for a minimum of 1 hour, or overnight, in the refrigerator.
- Combine all the other ingredients, except the nuts, and stir into the oats.
- Garnish with toasted nuts and serve.
- Note: This will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator.