To celebrate the Queensland Museum’s exhibition Afghanistan: Hidden Treasures from the National Museum, Kabul on at South Bank until 27 January 2014, try your hand at baking this remarkable Afghan love cake.
6 cups almond meal
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups caster sugar
4 eggs beaten
1 Tablespoon of Mixed Spice
250g soft butter or margarine
500g of Greek natural yogurt unsweetened
1/4 cup chopped pistachios
250g unsweetened yogurt, large lemon zest and juice
1. Preheat oven @ 150℃ oven
2. Line a large 25cm spring form tin with oil and baking paper
3. Add almond meal and sugar to a mixing bowl. Add butter/margarine and rub with fingers till the mixture forms breadcrumbs.
4. Press one third of the mixture into bottom of pan. With the remaining mixture add mixed spice, eggs and yogurt and mix well.
5. Poor into spring form tin and sprinkle chopped pistachios around edge.
6. Bake for approx. 45 mins till firm to touch. Leave to cool overnight in fridge.
7. Serve with lemon yogurt and edible flowers.
Prep time: 10min • Cook time: 60min